Tuesday 3 September 2013

Becoming Me - Day 1 of Blogtember

Or as someone put it once "how did you happen?".



Well. It's a long story.

Here are the main points (as I see them):

My Parents - Are hardworking, humble, open, bizarre, sarcastic, loving and hilarious. They taught me that it's the simple things  (and hoarding those simple things) that make life worth living. They taught me that everyone is equal and deserves to have happiness in life. Mum taught me what it is to be a good wife, mother and to sing out loud even if you are tone deaf. Dad taught me that I could be honest and truthful in life, without consequence, and that airplanes can get off the ground because of Bernoulli's Principle. Somehow the combination of their genes on a warm february evening in 1985 created this odd looking, right handed, freckle riddled lady who blogs here today.

My Sister - Is a handful. Of love. And taught me responsibility from the minute she was around. She taught me that I have the ability to love someone without any boundaries, that I could want to move heaven or earth to make them happy, and still want to slap them occasionally.

My husband - Although Rob and I have been married less than a year, we have been together for over seven years. Living together for over six years. And friends for over eight years. I figure that given my age, Rob has been a part of me for over 25% of my time on this green earth. My humor, favorite foods, music tastes, catch phrases, favorite tv shows, top five movies and daily workouts are all parts of him and I combined. He has taught me so much about life, especially life pertaining to the 1990s rap and alternative music scene. I owe him a great deal. He is my Wikipedia. 

My grandparents - I am blessed with such beautiful and loving grandparents. Some of my grandpeople are still knocking about, stubborn and strong and some have passed, but I keep their lessons, cuddles and love in my heart lock box. 

My pals - My friendship circle has many tangents, created from my movement in the last 10 years. I have friends who have kept in touch since we were dancing to the Spice Girls. I have friends from Uni who I only see once a year but message on a monthly basis. And I have some special people who I keep in my heart on a daily. The kind of close friendships where you are so close you can just think of them and they text you. They might be scattered around the globe but they all really rock and have taught me what it means to be alive.

New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud and the toothbrush fence. Growing up collecting shells on beautiful beaches, running through paddocks, making forts across streams and eating fish and chips once a week on Sunday. Yep, being a kiwi has a lot to thank for my love of outdoors and fried food covered in sauce. 

Science - The world around us is my strength. Science has taught me that you cannot straight out destroy negative energy, but you can transfer it into something positive. Science has taught me that everything needs to balance, too much of one thing will ultimately cause a disturbance in the force. Science has taught me that we are around for just a speck in the timescale of forever, but why not make the rest of forever better from our speck in time? Oh, and also, science has taught me not to mess with sharks, snakes or nazis.. (That was either Science or The Discovery channel). 

The Spice Girls - Lets face it. I was a big fan. They taught me to never sing in public if you shouldn't be singing in public. A lesson I forget every time I'm in a supermarket. 

Gravity - Gravity has taught me that it will always win in a battle with me. Be it on flat ground, rolling hills, sober, or tanked. Gravity wins.  

In all seriousness, I think that everyone I have ever chatted with has probably shaped me in some way. I think we can learn from anyone we cross paths with. 

So there you have it. A condensed* version of how and which people, pop culture icons and laws of science that have shaped me into the curvy, fringed poppet that I am today.

*The longer version will be in some form of memoir or made for tv film that goes straight to the 4 am slot.
Thanks for taking a read, let me know what you think! Sarah xo


 
 
 
This is my first response to the Blogtember challenge, to learn more about the challenge click here.

23 comments:

  1. Such a detailed post, Sarah! Great effort to start off Blogtember :) I've just got things started over at www.lovehappydaily.com Good luck! :) x Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunday :) Looking forward to following along with yours!

      Sarah xo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Discovery Channel is awesome! :) Enjoyed your first Blogtember post...looks like you have a lot of love and good things in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha I do love the Discovery Channel. Thanks, I am pretty blessed - a crazy life, and one that I cherish! XO

      Delete
  4. such a cute and funny post!
    stoping by from blogtember!
    xo, sarah grace
    www.gracefullymadedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, I'm glad someone to hear that someone gets my sense of humor :P I popped over to your blog, I love your products! I will have to share them on the blog soon :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Sarah xo

      Delete
  5. I'm kind of annoyed that I haven't found you sooner! Thanks for the morning laughs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I will take that as a compliment, your blog cracked me up this morning, so I am glad I could give you a laugh back..

      Sarah xo

      Delete
    2. Yes I definitely meant it as a compliment! Looking forward to reading more!

      Delete
    3. Thanks : ) Looking forward to seeing the rest of you posts for the month!

      Delete
  6. Hi from the link-up! And OMG Spice Girls. That's classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep. I am totally of the Spice Girls generation. Dolls, Concerts and all!

      :P
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Sarah xo

      Delete
  7. I found your blog through the Blogtember link-up and wow, growing up in New Zealand must have been a child's dream! So much magical nature to explore. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - it was a very beautiful place to grow up - I feel very lucky. It has definitely helped shape me :)

      Sarah xo

      Delete
  8. Gosh, I've been wanting to go to New Zealand for a long time now and your description of it just amplifies my dreams. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a beautiful place. I miss it loads, but enjoy my trips home! Thanks for reading through and leaving a comment!

      Sarah xo

      Delete
  9. You are mightily blessed -- obviously surrounded by love and logic; an awesome combination.
    I dream of visiting New Zealand.
    Nice to "meet" you!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a pretty awesome combination haha :P thanks for taking a look!
      Good to "meet" you too :D

      Sarah xo

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness how you describe New Zealand and the Spice Girls. Yes ma'am. One day I will visit your homeland. I am a huge fan of the Spice Girls too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Zealand is definitely a beautiful place! You will love it, I'm sure! Thanks for taking a look at my post.

      Sarah xo

      :D

      Delete
  11. "...it's the simple things (and hoarding those simple things) that make life worth living." LOL! totally my mantra too. you sound ace, and your blog looks great too-looking forward to having an explore x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Max!
      I am glad to have you here :) haha my parents are super hoarders so I have totally inherited that trait!
      Have fun x hope you enjoy having a look around.
      Sarah x

      Delete

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!