Sunday 1 September 2013

A Tradition of Collecting

I have been thinking a lot lately about all the collections my family had when I was young.

My Dad had a cabinet full of fire engines. Mum had a cabinet of elephant knick knacks. It was cool, because when we travelled Dad would always visit the local fire station, and we always had something neat we could buy Mum for birthdays. When I was a wee thing, I collected whale and dolphin ornaments. I'm not sure, they may or may not be in a box somewhere in Mum and Dad's attic. My sister collected cat knick knacks. My Nana collected so many things. When she passed she had an amazing vintage salt and pepper shaker collection. Teaspoons too. As children we loved looking through them all.

I wonder if things like that are kind of going out of fashion. It's so popular to have minimalist decorations in houses now. Well, I think I am keen to keep the tradition going. 

I have been considering starting something up for awhile. It can be tricky being an expat, I have a natural tendency to horde (thanks genetics), and it can be difficult to keep things  with the need to move every few years. 

When we were buying "vintagey" things for our wedding, I realized there is something kind of quirky that I really love. 

I love vintage embroidery and needle point. I guess it makes sense, I have been doing cross stitch since I was 8 and have always loved how it looks. I bought so quite a few neat old embroidered pieces to decorate our wedding space, and I think it has stuck. I love how detailed the pieces are. And it makes me sad to think they are sitting on a shelf at a second hand store when so much love went into making them!

So in the last month I have officially started my collection. Here are the first two pieces. I have seen so many I have wanted but am trying to take it slow. At the moment these pieces are decorating my walk in wardrobe. 

I love this owly! I love the stitching that makes up his breast. So detailed!



I saw this battered piece and thought it was so pretty.


Sarah xo


What do you think? Do you have any favorite collections?

I am looking forward to one day being in a big house where I have a big gallery wall for all the pieces! 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're collecting needlepoint! Thats such a fun idea. When I was little I had a huge collection of (nerd alert) Star Wars stuff that I loved, but it was nowhere near as adorable as that little owl!

    I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog... you should totally enter! http://bit.ly/14heCer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much, I really love the little owl too!

      I really like your store! Are you on bloglovin?

      Delete

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!