Tuesday 14 January 2014

Hammy ham Ham face

I like Ham. I'm sorry. But I just do. Here is the Ham glaze that my Mum always made at Christmas. I have been using it for the last 10 years. I know some pretty discerning Ham connoisseurs, and they have loved it.

Disclaimer. If you are a loyal reader who also happens to be vegetarian, and really wants to read on because you are polite, even though the Ham thing is freaking you out, well, hey, you are lovely, but really, you don't want to know more.

Here's what you mix:

1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Pineapple Juice
1 t Mustard Powder
1/8 t Ground Clove
Handful of Cloves

Here's what you do:

Mix the glaze together. I at least double it, if not triple it.



This image may seem like an anticlimax - but it looks nothing like the amazing amazingness it will create.

Use a VERY sharp knife to cut up and under the skin. LEAVE A LAYER OF FAT. At this point, when I show friends, people say "Oh but that's unhealthy" "blah, blah, blah". People. You do not eat a ham for its health benefits. Believe me. The fat belongs there.


Watch out for your fingers people.

When you have taken the skin off, mark lines going in opposite directions through the fat. The lines should go deep enough to make a clear line, but not deep enough that you are cutting the fat off.



Place a clove in the spots where the lines converge.. Ohhh fat diamonds.




Roast/Bake/Cook said Ham on a low heat (~120 C ish)  for 4-5 hours. Don't rush it. Baste the beast at least once an hour. I like to do it every 20 minutes if I have time. Mum pours all the liquid over in the beginning and just bastes from the dish, I normally just keep basting from the bowl till it is empty and then I spoon it from the roasting dish. Note* when I say baste, I basically mean pour massive ladles of the goo over hammy.



When it is done, let it sit for 10 minutes, (if you can keep the starving hordes from ripping chunks off it - this may be the hardest part).

Carve it up, taking time to try a fat square. Don't judge me. Everyone judges me till they try one, then they try and push me out of the way to eat them all. True story. (This happens every time there is someone new trying the Ham).

The liquid in the bottom of the pan makes a yum sauce for over the Ham, just scoop off the fat on the top, get rid of that, and keep the sauce.

And here is how it looks:










What the? Amazing. 


Thanks again Mama! 

6 comments:

  1. Yup. It looks awesome. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank hun, it makes me emotional thinking about it lol so yum

      Delete
  2. I love ham! And that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhhhhh you're making my tummy rumble! (- And yes, yes, yes to the fat diamonds. Worth every second on that treadmill!)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!