Sunday 10 November 2013

Steph's Pumpkin Bread.. Mmmm

When my dear friend Steph and I met in New Zealand, she introduced me to my first pumpkin-related-baked-item. It was pumpkin bread and it was flipping delish. She made a bunch for a field trip and we wolfed it down.

Fast forward to seven years later and I am craving that pumpkin bread again. Plus we are in the land of pumpkin everything. So today we hunkered down and made 15 loaves of bread. Now, Steph likes to make a bunch in one go and freeze them, because, you know. It is convenient and efficient. Secretly, I think it is a deeply ingrained "everything is bigger in Texas" thing. You be the judge.

So anyway, I am gonna share the recipe with y'all. Warning its pretty easy to make, very addictive and totally moreish!

You will need:

4 eggs
2 C pureed pumpkin - this time we used a can of Libbys - which is around 2 C, but Steph normally uses fresh pumpkin that she cooks and purees
2 1/3 C white sugar
1 C vegetable oil

1 C walnuts

3 C flour
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
5 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp ground ginger




In one bowl mix the eggs, pumpkin, sugar and oil. *Tip - put the oil in last or it gets difficult to mix


In another bowl mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, spices.


Combine both mixtures into a big ass bowl. Add walnuts. 



Pour into lined loaf trays - mini or big. We used loaf trays (see picture below) and we made a double batch each time - this made 5 loaves. *Tip - if you make more than one batch at a time it gets way too hard to mix, my arm is pretty tired as it is haha.


Bake at 375 F (190 C) for around 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

If you prefer to make muffins the single batch makes around 24 muffins. And will take about 25 minutes. 


By this stage your house will smell like happiness and you should have an appetite from all that mixing, so serve warm with a bit of butter, sigh with happiness and enjoy!

Yum!



7 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!! I'm going to start calling you Martha. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe - it tastes amazing. Like I had half a loaf this morning :s

      Delete
  2. Omg, we have a few cans of pumpkin puree from last year in our pantry just languishing. The idea was to make pumpkin pie, but this sounds waaay better. I can't wait to try this (and finally use up those poor cans!). <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is delicious.. I personally like it more than pumpkin pie.. Super easy too!
      x

      Delete
  3. I am obsessed with pumpkin bread and yours seems lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good timing then! I hope you like it!
    PS. I love your blog!
    Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!