Monday 28 October 2013

Rustic Tart

To all the comedians out there, no this is not an "outfit of the day post" shot while camping. Today I am sharing one of my favorite recipes.

I first made this with my grandmother when I was 14. She found it in an Australian Women's Weekly and ripped it out to try. I have added things, changed things a little, but I still remember the first time I cooked it and now it has become one of my signature dishes at Christmas time. 

Here is why I love it:
It's easy. Like REALLY easy.
It's delish
You can make a bunch and just put then in the oven one after the other
You can change the ingredients to suit your pantry or taste buds
It looks well flash
It's delish
It smells amazing
And in case you didn't get it the first time, it's bloody delicious!

For some weird reason, I only make it at Christmas time - but Rob and I got sick of waiting - so I cooked one up today! (excuse the photos - they are off my phone!)

__________
Here is what you need for the base recipe (based on one tart):

Puff pastry (I buy it - I'm not ashamed)
2 T tomato paste
1 T water
1 T each - dried oregano, dried parsely, dried marjoram (or any combination of dried herbs)

Red capsicum (Bell Pepper)
Yellow capsicum (Yellow pepper??)
Tomatoes - What ever you have in the fridge or enjoy eating, in Summer in NZ I use a few different types and colors of tomatoes. The more color the better!
Red onion
Fresh Basil leaves
1 T Olive oil
Ground salt and pepper

Feta



__________

In one bowl combine the tomato paste, water and dried herbs.


In another bowl, combine the chopped vegetables, torn fresh basil leaves, olive oil and salt and pepper. The veges can be diced or chopped into chunky bits. Whatever your preference.


Lay a pastry sheet out on baking paper.

Smear the tomato paste mixture onto the middle of the pastry sheet, leaving a sauce free zone around the sheet about an inch wide. You can either cut an indent so the edges puff up, or fold them over (this adds to the rustic-ness).



Empty the bowl of yummy chopped veges onto the top of the tomato zone.


Crumble Feta on to the top of the vege mountain in front of you.




Bake at 400 F or 180 C for around 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.


__________

Alternatives:

Now, it must be noted that my Mum and Sister strongly dislike most of those ingredients. So, instead of veges and feta I top theirs with bacon and shredded cheddar.

If you don't like red onion, don't put it in. If you love other things, put them in. Remember, the more color, the more impressive, it looks best with a variety of tomatoes and peppers.Spinach works too.

If you dig the vegetarian-ness of the dish, then eat up! Sometimes, (like tonight) Rob likes me to add something to make it more meaty. Tonight its bacon, but it could be prawns, or it is delicious served with Christmas Ham (glaze recipe coming soon) or with a roast lamb.


 This makes a perfect lunch, dinner, side dish, or, take it from me, it is amazing the next day!


Linking up with Taste of Tuesday below!

4 comments:

  1. Sold! To the girl who hates veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yuss! I couldn't convince my Mum or Sister - but bacon convinced them : ) My favorite is with both!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It is super tasty - especially considering how easy it is!

      Delete

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!