Tuesday 21 May 2013

Wedding Candy Bar - How to make it perfect!

So, I fell in love with the idea of having a candy bar at our wedding..

I wanted to make it kind of unique and personal to Rob and I, so, here is how I put ours together.




I was lucky enough to have some beautiful friends and an amazing Mum to help me put things together, and I had a super long engagement. This was such a fun project, I HIGHLY recommend having a candy bar at your wedding.. You can make it as big or small as you want. My husband is a sweet tooth and this was his favorite thing at the wedding.

Here is a detailed list of all the things we did to make it the cutest candy bar I have seen!



Putting it all together
Mum found a beautiful old cabinet online for the main display piece. The girls painted it up in a bright blue colour. We super-glued some small frames that I had spray painted on the back of a shelf. This was a really cute touch. 




We also had two trestle tables set up either side so that we could have enough room for everything to be displayed. The tables either side had lace table cloths that I got for a few dollars each from the Salvation Army. 










Serving
Glass jars
Glass sweet dishes
Vintage dishes
I used a lot of old dishes and jars from different family members




Tea cups - these were great for lollipops
DIY - vintage cupcake stand - my beautiful Liz spent the morning before the wedding super gluing a random assortment of floral dishes together. We used plastic cake stand towers to provide the height between each level. Your local craft or baking supply store should have these.




DIY - I got some white frames and added different blue and white patterned paper that I liked.. these became unique and cute cupcake trays!



















To serve, we found a collection of spoons, ladles, tea strainers, and cake slices from second hand stores.

I bought some super cute, retro style paper bags and nut cups from some great Etsy stores, see links at the bottom of the page.

 
For decoration
Old vases
Milk jugs
Tea pots
Old frames
Tapestries
Framed, vintage pictures
Old maps
Old comic books
old cookie tins
Old doilies, table cloths and embroidered napkins
Random ornaments
Old encyclopedias
  


This awesome little gem was my Grandmothers. It was just perfect!

Our yummies
6 different colors of jelly Beans
Gummy bears
Milk Bottles
Lollipops
Freckles
Chocolates
Spacemen candies
Sour worms
Coke bottles
Rasberry drops
Freddos









Our beautiful bridesmaids spent the day before the wedding baking our favorite cakes and biscuits. These added an awesome touch to our dessert bar.



 


Labels
I used small pieces of card and glued different shades of blue buttons on to the corners. The names were stamped on with a typewriter font stamp. To attach the labels I had a variety of different blue ribbons to glue them onto the jar.

 




Personal touches
  • I spray painted some old frames and filled them with different typography readings of our favorite sayings.
  • My Mum spent months finding little touches that she thought would suit us. She found some original Superman comics that my husband had as a child. 
  • My husband and I really like badgers, Mum found us a couple of old Sylvanian family badgers with vintage clothes on. They made a cute addition to the candy bar.






I hope the blog has given you some ideas for your candy bar.. Everyone loved it, and we had the left overs at the end of the night.. It was very handy. It was so much fun buying all the little items, and spread over a couple of years of planning, the costs didn't really add up.



Photography, Carey Conn http://careyconn.co.nz/
Photography, Areta Arcus
Photography, Liz Mahon
Nut cups, Etsy Store http://www.etsy.com/pePhotograpople/shabbygirl2
 
Cupcake liners, Etsy Store http://www.etsy.com/people/CupcakeSocial  
Striped paper bags, Etsy Store http://www.etsy.com/people/InTheClear






No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! I love getting comments and sending replies!